Sunday 24 August 2008

Roommate corner: You put the 'p' in Psycho

Dear Rhonda Roommate,

They say you don’t really know someone until you live with them. Well at least that’s what my Mom used to say. There is something about sharing 1000sq feet with you that brings out your worst characteristics. It is amazing how territorial you are and the lengths you will go to in order to prove a point (a petty point)

There are many kinds of roommates out there...you are a combination of the territorial and passive-aggressive types. Constant mood swings and random comments make me wonder what I saw in you in the first place. It is hard to live with someone when they resent you and in some ways wish they had your life. Hello..can we say “Single White Female?” I have been lectured by you about how many vacations I have taken (2 since January) and how much money I spend. Two words: none of your business.

Friends are a lot of fun when you can do things with them all the time and they have money to go out on the town with you. Once we became roommates, I found out where this money comes from and what you are willing to spend it on. Suddenly, the girl who always had money for gin and tonics eats my groceries and doesn’t replace them. The pretzels were ok to steal…but did you really have to eat the chocolate cookie dough icecream? Once someone knows how much money you make, their sense of entitlement takes over. They feel that you have the money to spend; therefore you should be spending it on them or on their food or your mutual residence. God forbid they put in their share. After all, it’s not like I worked hard for my job. It’s not like I save up every month just like any other girl to buy a new purse or a pair of designer shoes (at Winners, of course!).

Is this jealousy? Resentment? Or just plain bitchiness? Should I feel guilty for my accomplishments or what I do and where I go? Because I don’t. All I feel is frustration. I do not have to justify my decisions to you. That is why I left my mother’s house. At least my mother’s insecurities weren’t so obvious. Maybe its time you got a new job and a new life. Then you wouldn’t be controlling my decisions. Oh and by the way, there is still some chocolate ice cream on your chin ;0

Love always,
Kristyn xo

No comments: