Thursday 4 December 2008

Staying Healthy During Flu Season


As the temperature decreases and we’d rather be inside by a log fire, the ugly and infamous flu season kicks in. We’re all pretty familiar with the ‘joys’ of having the flu but it seems every year before it starts I forget exactly how baldy these germs can effect our lives. Example in point: My boyfriend has been pretty sick this week struck by hot and cold flashes, weakness, coughing, sore throat, runny nose and sneezing. Diagnosis, the flu! Poor guy has been in bed and drinking more liquids that I drink in a week. I’ve been pretty good – making him soup and tea constantly and checking his temperature. Giving him medication every 4 hours as instructed. But now that we’re living together it not only affects him but me as well (I know, woe is me, he’s the one in the pain…I know, I know but hear me out). As he lays awake sneezing, coughing and blowing his nose I’m constantly awaking up, tossing and turning, trying to get back to sleep. End result, we’re both exhausted.. I’m trying desperately not to get sick, which brings me to my next point (the meat of this article if you will)…how do you stay healthy while those around you are sick? I’ve devised a list (I love lists, can you not tell?) of the basic things that I do. So here we go…

1. Getting enough sleep I usually try to sleep for at least 6 hours a night but mostly I get my dose of 8. This helps your body’s restoration process (mainly affecting your immune system and metabolism) and memory processing.

2. Eat your Fruit and Vegetables Your parents were right, it’s important your body has the nutrients to fight any external germs. The rule of thumb is 5 portions a day. My trick is to have a bottle of fruit juice at work that I'll have in the mornings. Try Innocence Juice, they’re packed with goodness and account for 3 portions/glass.

3. Get the Flu Jab I was against taking these but my doctor insisted I take it (funny story, as I was persisting that I didn’t want it, she got my mother from the waiting the room to weigh in her influence, while discussing it w/ my mother my doctor poked me with the needle….). I’m glad she did as I haven’t had the flu (knock on wood) for 3 years now. I get it every year.

4. Stay Active. We never want to do anything in the winter, there’s loads of excuses – too cold, too far, too much hassle etc…but it’s important that we still keep our bodies active, doing physical activity for at least an hour/week. Join a team, or try a winter sport. Whenever I feel the cold coming I head straight to the gym and sweat it out.

What do you do?

No comments: