Monday 20 October 2008

Social Blunders

We have all been there, some of us, more often than we would like to admit; foot- in- mouth disease. Ever heard of it? Well it’s this very phenomenon that inspired this article. Why do we say the worst things at the worst times? What were we thinking? More importantly, how do we recover? I didn’t realize there was so much information about this topic on the internet. I guess I am not the only one who seems to commit social blunders or be a victim of one. Should I start a support group?

I wish I could come up with a guide to overcome/apologize for social blunders. However, I don’t have any idea of where to start. So I decided to write about what ALWAYS makes me feel better: other people’s mistakes

You think getting drunk on the weekend and calling your friend’s “white trash” was bad…here are some situations that might make you feel better:

Tom Cruise on Oprah’s couch:
In 2005, Tom Cruise became the object of public ridicule after he jumped atop a couch on the Oprah Winfrey Show to profess his love for his now-wife, Katie Holmes. In 2006, Paramount Pictures ended its 14-year relationship with the star, and many blame the split on Cruise's very public relationship, embracing of Scientology and condemnation of psychiatry.

Ashlee Simpson's SNL appearance:
Ashlee Simpson was scheduled to perform two songs on Saturday Night Live in 2004. She performed one without incident, but when the wrong track started for her second song, viewers heard Simpson's voice before she raised her microphone to her mouth -- revealing she had been lip synching. Simpson's camp cited acid reflux as the reason for her lip synching, but the event still dogs her reputation.

And some not so memorable quotes:

'Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff' - Mariah Carey

"Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life," - Brooke Shields (during an interview to become spokesperson for federal anti-smoking campaign)

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions, but I don't always agree with them" George Bush

"I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman"
– Arnold Shwarzenneger

'So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?' – Christina Aguilera

Wow! I hope that made you feel a little less self conscious about your blunders than before. If not, here is a youtube video that shows a selection of mistakes by none other than George Bush..happy viewing

No comments: