Wednesday 12 November 2008

Orange & Carrot Muffins


Is it just me or do you finding it a lot harder waking up in the winter too? I know the added hour is ‘suppose’ to make it better but lately I find myself struggling to get out of bed. I’ll press snooze several times then actually turn off alarm (a dangerous move!) and go back to bed. Even my boyfriend tries to help. He’ll open the curtains to let some ‘light’ in. When that fails he’ll give me a little nudge then pull off the covers…god I hate that, it’s always so cold! But alas it works and I finally drag myself out of bed. I’m pathetic I know. But wouldn’t it be great to have something yummy once you’re up? This is where these muffins/scones come in. The texture is more to that of scones (even though they called muffins) and with oranges and carrots it’s sure to brighten your day.

What you'll need:
75g butter, melted
2 oranges, juiced and zested
1 egg, beaten
100g carrots, peeled and grated
300g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
100g caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with squares of baking parchment (or I use silicone muffin cups and they work just as well), pushing them down to make little cases. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Whisk together the wet ingredients with the carrots then stir this into the dry ingredients, but don't overmix - it's better if it's a bit lumpy.

2. Spoon into the muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until risen.

Recipe taken from Olive Magazine

No comments: