Monday 27 April 2009

The Easy Silence

I consider myself to be a people magnet. Ok, maybe not in the charismatic, look I am so wonderful sense. More in the, I love to be around people sense. When I got a job in sales, I was very worried about spending all that time alone. Alone in the car all day, with just the radio to keep me sane. Two years into the job, I realize, it hasn't been that bad. Spending the past two years mostly with myself during the working day, has taught me a lot about..well..me.

Which begs the question? Can you spend too much time alone? There is nothing wrong with being comfortable with yourself and enjoying your own company. Experts say, you should live alone at least once before you get married or settle down. If you don't know yourself, then how can you get to know anyone else around you? Makes sense right. Well, see...I already knew myself and I will even go as far to say, loved myself. So...where does that leave me? Is it really that healthy to be alone. When all your hear all day are your own thoughts..and your own voice...is that really normal? Most of my colleagues have become quite analytical and almost bitter as they overthink everything all day long. I find the more time I spend with myself, the more appealing being a hermit can be. Doing what you want all day long with no one around, can be appealing in a way..dont you think?

Lately, I have been passing the time with podcasts and audiobooks, so at least I am not a victim of my own mind. The scariest thing is...the more time you spend alone..the harder it is to separate what you think and what may have actually occured.

No comments: