Wednesday 3 September 2008

What is this guilt all about?

From the moment we wake up in the morning, we have places to be and people waiting for us. Whether it is car pools, lunches to make, kids to pick up, events to “appear at”…we are overwhelmed with obligations. Well that’s what makes up life ..right? Who would want to be sitting on the couch all their life with no kids, no friends and no job. True…but is it necessary to have guilt as the price to pay? Why is it that women feel guilty if they miss one event or one minor obligation…but men don’t? “Sorry buddy I missed your engagement party...I got caught up at something else…no biggie”

Maybe it’s the fact that we feel such strong bonds with the people in our lives that we don’t want to disappoint them. But where is the time for us? If I spend too much time with my boyfriend, I feel guilty for not hanging out with my roommate. When my roommate is gone and I am not helping out my friends or parents with something, back comes the guilt. I feel guilty for calling in sick (insert fake cough here) to spend a day to get thousands of things done that I have put off for your wedding, or your class or your priorities.

Should we take a page from our testosterone counterparts? Is it a bad thing to take time for ourselves… to lounge around and fart hot dogs all day? Does it make us less of a friend to not show up at ALL to your events? I am not too sure what the answer is…mainly because it is the overwhelming sense of guilt and ownership to people that PROVOKED this article (ok I will stop with the shameless self-promotion). A little less guilt and a little more self pity please.

Kristyn xo

No comments: