Monday 9 March 2009

Complainer's Corner

A friend of mine did her entire MBA project on Complaining. She had a point. After all, as I have said before, customer oriented companies are the way of the future. Our greedy ways have allowed us to demand multiple companies in single industries, thereby increasing competition. The economy is now in a downturn, and the companies that are hungry…hungry for customer satisfaction, will stay alive.

Transat Distribution, owner of Nolitours, Transat Holidays and Air Transat, is still learning this valuable lesson. I took my complaint (over a holiday in Mexico with half of the amenities promised, and power/water outages etc) to their customer service department. Like most companies that you complain to, I received a very simple standardized letter APOLOGIZING for my troubles. Sparing you all the details, I assure you, my experience in Mexico, was a bit more troubling and should receive more than a standard response. I asked to speak to their superior/manager and was never contacted again.

Most people don’t have the time to complain to a company about their dissatisfaction. Luckily, I do. I also had the time to Expresspost a nice letter to Transat’s CEO. I wasn’t hoping for much, just wanted to gauge Transat’s commitment to their customer base. I received a $200 voucher in the mail last week along with another apology letter. This was a nice attempt; however, I made it clear I wasn’t ever going to travel with them again. So why did they stick me with a $200 voucher…grrr. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth I guess? Right?

My sense of entitlement tells me that THEY should be doing a lot more. Maybe I am just being greedy. Or maybe Transat hasn’t felt the economic crunch. Their final quarter of 2008 was a very profitable one. They might not be so lucky in 2009. A company that knows how important each and every client is: Sunwing. I should know, I am their newest customer.

No comments: