Monday 23 March 2009

Fading Friendships

I am 26. I have about 12 close friends that I know very well and would do anything for. That doesn’t sound that bad..does it? Well it feels bad. At the risk of sounding melodramatic, I can’t remember the last time I called any of them up randomly for no reason. I see them as much as time permits. I feel like they are involved in my life. Yet, I don’t really call them up out of nowhere on the phone. When I was younger, I had tons of friends that I would call/see on a regular basis. Am I just too busy? Or has technology replaced everyday friendship? Instead of calling/visiting most people, I facebook or text them until we have time to meet. It’s more convenient that way for sure. But is it healthy? No matter how much I message people, it still doesn’t replace the connection of a phone call or a visit. Weeks can go buy when I realize I haven’t really talked to any of my friends. Everyday living and work just takes up most of my time. It takes a real effort to call a friend or to drop by sometime. When is the last time you have done it? I am guilty…but not for long. After all, most times all I need is a really good friend.

No comments: